Wednesday, October 26, 2011

two book covers

I'm gearing up for NaNoWriMo 2011! I've got a solid cast of characters-- all with names, motivations, and backstories-- a plot, major themes, and a setting for my book. Oh, and a title too! 
.
"As They Tend to Infinity" 
.
The phrase is part of the definition of asymptotes. Remember those little bitches from high school pre-calculus? Two lines infinitely approaching each other but never touching? I always thought it was a beautiful metaphor for unrequited love, though I never did use the idea in any writing, save for a humorous poem. When I was jotting down ideas for my novel, though, it struck me that an asymptote is also an elegant analogy for Laika's (that's the name I chose for the MC, by the way) existential loneliness. She struggles the entire novel to try and understand the people in her life, but in the end realizes that it's a useless exercise. Her consciousness will always be isolated from others'; she will never be able to fully understand what it is like to experience life as another human being.
.
Anyway, I'm fairly proud of the headway I've made on the idea, given that I had no clue what I was doing for Nano just a couple of days ago. I rewarded myself by embarking on the self-indulgent quest to create a book cover for my project. It just makes me feel more fancy when I have a cover for my project.
.
I know squat about computer art, so these are bare bones. They are pretty, though, aren't they? I can't decide which one I want to use. Opinions?




No comments:

Post a Comment