Wednesday, October 19, 2011

and armed with a pumpkin

I'm sitting with my boyfriend, to be known here as "Bear," trying to think of what I should write in my first post. I don't want to try for anything to grand or fancy. I've blogged before-- though under an alias-- and the other times the blogs died under the weight of their ambition. I don't want to make that mistake this time. I will try to stay true to my thoughts, whether they are unadorned or complex. I want to capture who I am in this moment.
.
So what am I thinking right now?
.
I love autumn. Every year, when the long summer days dwindle down and I can spell damp leaves and spice on the crisp air, I feel excitement leap in my belly. My thoughts turn to warm things. Quilts, mulled cider and wine, pumpkin in absolutely everything-- beer, bread, tea, cakes, coffee, bagels!-- jackets, scarves, woolen caps. Everything snug and huddled against the coming winter. Every tree is a glorious bonfire, momentarily vivid before deadening to ash. The world is ruddy and flushed.
.
As much as I love walking this time of year, I'm not looking forward to trekking back to my apartment tonight. It's too blustery out for me to enjoy it, and since it will be dark and empty there won't be much scenery to take in. Still, it makes me glad to think of my warm living room glowing invitingly on the other side of Clemson. Curling up with a book and a pot of spiced tea on the couch with a fuzzy blanket pulled up to my chin, hoping Mogmi (my ill-tempered cat) will join me and sleep with his head on my leg. Starting a beef stew in the crock pot.
.
I want to carve a pumpkin. One of my friends (we shall call him "Mr. Beard" here) had a pumpkin carving party earlier in the week, but Bear and I missed the actually pumpkin carving part because we went to Greenville for the afternoon. I can't say I regret it though. Greenville was perfect. 
.
They were having their annual "Fall for Greenville" festival, which meant the streets were crowded with revelers who wandered from vendor to vendor to purchase things like pumpkin cheesecake, locally brewed beers, savory sandwiches, pork potstickers, fish tacos, turkey legs, spicy sushi, pot pies, cinnamon apple tarts, and almost anything else you can think of. Almost every restaurant in the downtown area had a stall open, and all the different smells mingled in the cool breeze as leaves of orange, gold and plum danced down onto the street like fiery snow. It was picturesque!
.
If you couldn't tell, a large part of autumn's appeal for me is the food. I love cooking that's warm, hearty, spicy, and savory. When I get home, I'm going to look up perfect fall recipes. I want to make stews, pies, and roast meats... I've been reading "Game of Thrones," so I think that's contributing to my cravings also.
.
Anyhow, I've got to go. I'm going to be posting everyday. Hopefully something exciting will happen tomorrow so I'll have some good stories to tell!
.
Good night,
Eden

No comments:

Post a Comment