Monday, January 23, 2012

journal of randomness-- bla weekend I

I haven't made much progress on the book since the last time I wrote. It's odd-- I'm usually the type of person who like to finish a novel in a single sitting-- maybe one weekend at the most, if it's a long one-- but I find myself wanting to savor IQ84. The experience is so immersive and I don't want it to end. I'm enjoying living with these characters and contemplating their world. As I enter the final act, I'm become more apprehensive about it all coming to a close. What am I going to read next, and is there any chance I'm going to enjoy it as much as the Murakami?
.
I'm about to begin reading in Hendrix, accompanied by Ben, who is beginning "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." I've been often told that I should read this, but I've been putting it off, probably because it's so popular that it's scared me off. As much as this makes me a douche, I enjoy reading stuff that hasn't saturated pop culture. I mean, Murakami is far, far from an unknown, but I'm the only person I know in my area who reads his books, aside from Craig and Lan Chi who started reading him after I suggested his stuff. I like going into a book free from any influence of other's opinions. The overwhelming public embracing of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," etc. feel like this weird peer pressure to read it. I dunno. It's all very illogical. But I just have this reaction that as soon as I feel like some force is steering me to do something, I don't want to do it.
.
Either way, I hope Ben likes it. I don't want his journey into book-readin' to stop with "The Hunger Games" trilogy. I'm afraid that if he doesn't get into this series, he'll give up on the whole idea of books. Which would make me ever so sad. There's something very comforting about the two of us sitting at our usual table at Hendrix with our drinks, sometimes Chinese takeout, holding hands and silently reading our books.
.
If you've been paying attention to the republican primaries, or life in general, you probably have realized that South Carolina is a stupid state. I'm pretty sick of living here. Ben's co-worker/friend and my erstwhile acquaintance from my CGSA (Clemson Gay Straight Alliance) days, Alexa,  is meeting with the current members of the CGSA chapter at one of the tables next to me. Every once and a while, their conversation can be heard over the gentle hum of conversation at the tables here. And when words like "lesbian" or "queer" pop up, at least half a dozen heads turn, and I can see looks of distaste on their faces. How did I end up in a freakin college campus where discussion of LGBT issues garners this reaction?
.
Can't write anymore for now, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment